Friday, July 11, 2008

1000 to 1

The most recent estimates that I have heard put the number of orphans in Ethiopia around 5 million. I believe there are less than 5000 adoptions a year from Ethiopia. This means that there are at least 1000 orphans left behind for every one that is adopted. We are going to adopt one Ethiopian child in the near future and I am having a hard time imaging being in Addis, driving through the streets and leaving with just one. Obviously, I cannot take all 5 million home, but can I help all 5 million? I believe the answer is yes and it is by not forgetting them. Adoption is obviously not the solution for these children in Ethiopia (or anywhere else in the world), even though it is making so many of our dreams come true. We must be willing to ask God what he would have us do. Orphans and widows have a special place in God’s heart, and they should have the same place in ours.

I am looking forward with great anticipation to our travel to Ethiopia and our journey home. I am also looking forward to being challenged by God to not forget those in need. To me it sounds like the parable of the lost sheep, but in reverse. There is one that is going to be taken care of and 99(9) that are in need of the shepherds care.

Lord, I pray that you continue to take care of all of your children. I praise you that you are using adoption to expand so many families. Bless all those who are in the process of bringing these children home. Lord, challenge us to continue to pray for the children around the world that we did not adopt. May your mercy cover over them and us.

No comments: