Thursday, July 16, 2009

While I'm Waiting . . .

Well, it has been an insanely long time since we have written, mostly due to laziness, but also due to the difficulty of processing all that is going on. The last time we updated everyone on the status of our adoption, we had a court date on May 20th. A couple of weeks prior to our court date we heard from our agency that cases like ours were not being heard by the Ethiopian court due to an investigation. The investigation was not directly about our agency or our son. Unfortunately, when our court date came around on May 20th, the Ethiopian court closed our case (and all others like ours) until the investigation was completed. This news was very difficult to take and I think that Amy and I pretty much went into shutdown mode.

We were told by many people about the ups and downs of the adoption process and how things will never go how you think they will go. I naively thought our case would be different and, quite simply, I was wrong.

The investigation eventually came to an end around the beginning of July (I think). We got another court date for July 13th. Then we heard that another government agency in Ethiopia was having training for a couple of weeks and could not perform their part of the court proceedings. They will not be returning to work until July 24th. So, on the 13th we got another court date. This time our court date is July 27th. This is the first time that we have had a court date with a chance of passing. I am not holding my breath, but I am hopeful.

I am learning so much about God in this process and they are not easy lessons, but they are lessons that I am better off for learning.

While all of this is going on, life has continued at its normal pace. Lucy and Sam are enjoying vacation bible school, Amy and the kids went to Savannah and Raleigh for vacation (I had to work), Sam started Cub Scouts, we got a sandbox, we got new carpet, Sam went to camp at The Marsh. Life has been fun this summer and I have had a great time with my family, but I have definitely felt those parts of our family that are missing.

I love being a father and right now my heart just wants our son to be home with us.


Take a peek back on the 27th. If we pass court, I will post a collection of pictures and you can be introduced to our newest son. To God be the Glory!

4 comments:

Erica said...

I've been praying for your family as I can only imagine how awful this investigation has been for you. I am praying that the 27th will be an awesome day of celebration for you!

Al and Lyndsie said...

I am cautiously excited, and hope to be able to meet him soon. God's timing is perfect, as you know, but not always comprehendable. My His timing be perfect for his praise and glory, and your joy. Love you guys.

Jstar said...

We understand the pain of dates that pass and the heartwrenching reality of a child who is in your heart but doesn't yet share your last name - it is so very, very tough. Know that if we wait in and on the Lord the journey *never* returns void. We are praying for you guys and can't wait to hear about that official verdict very soon.

Steve and Megan said...

We're waiting with you guys and praying for you! We always appreciate how aware you are that God is using all these things for your refinement and for His fame. The eternal significance of it all is unknown now, but we're so glad that in the midst of waiting and struggling that you see your Father's hand gently leading you.